Japan still aims to start removing fuel debris from stricken reactors in 2021


Japan still aims to start removing fuel debris from stricken reactors in 2021

Japan still aims to start removing nuclear fuel debris at the three damaged reactors at Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s Fukushima No. 1 power plant in 2021, it was learned Thursday.
The schedule remained intact in a draft update to the government’s roadmap to the decommissioning of reactors 1, 2 and 3, all of which experienced fuel meltdowns during the nuclear disaster from March 2011. The draft was submitted to a meeting of a government task force on the matter.
But it looks inevitable that the government will review the schedule. The exaction location of the molten nuclear fuel in the reactors is still unknown and radiation levels in and around the reactors are very high.
In autumn last year, the government and Tepco discussed a delay of about five years in the start of work to remove the fuel debris from reactor 1.
But the draft said Japan will choose the method to remove the debris by the end of September 2018 and start taking out the molten fuel by the end of 2021. It is still unclear which reactor Japan will choose for the first removal work.
Meanwhile, the government is reviewing the schedule for removing spent fuel at storage pools at the three reactors.
Removal work has been slated to begin for reactor 3 by the end of this September. But the work will likely be delayed because radiation levels remain high and operations to remove rubble from the damaged building have not progressed as planned.
Source : Japan Times
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/05/22/national/science-health/japan-still-aims-start-removing-fuel-debris-stricken-reactors-2021/#.VV-gTEZZNBR

Fukushima N-fuel debris schedule may be reviewed

Japan still aims to start removing nuclear fuel debris at the three damaged reactors at Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s Fukushima No. 1 power plant in 2021, it has been learned.
The schedule remained intact in a draft update to the government’s roadmap to the decommissioning of the No. 1 to No. 3 reactors. The draft was submitted to a meeting of a government task force on the matter.
But it looks inevitable that the government will review the schedule. The whereabouts of the molten nuclear fuel are still unknown and radiation levels in and around the reactors are very high.
In autumn last year, the government and TEPCO discussed a delay of about five years in the start of work to remove the fuel debris at the No. 1 reactor.
But the draft said Japan will choose the method to remove the debris by the end of September 2018 and start taking out the molten fuel by the end of 2021.
Source : Yomiuri
http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0002167947

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s